Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Road Rage

I always hear about road rage but rarely experience it firsthand. Why do people feel the need to get so angry and lash out at others about things that are so small and insignificant. Yesterday afternoon as I approached the exit off Lougheed Highway to enter the #1 westbound I proceeded with caution because I was aware of my left turn signal being out. Thank-you Patrick for changing the bulb last night. I used my arm to signal and the motorcycle a few vehicles behind me may not have seen that. He decided he needed to weave in and out of the traffic to catch up to me at the light to tell me I was a dumb ass and then went on to extole the virtues of my driving and was quite irrate. He was on one of those sporty bikes. The children were in the backseat so I didn't want to set a bad examle. He continued to drive beside me and berate my driving skills. I told him to have a nice day and then he sped off up the freeway along the shoulder passing as many vehicles as he could. Marvin was quite interested as he couldn't hear what the cyclist said but he could see something was going on between us. My first thought at that point was pertaining to sex. It occured to me that he would dare have done that if I had been a man or even if there was a man in the car. I felt bullied. For some reason I keep thinking about it even though I am trying not to let it bother me. As I drove to work this morning I was more aware of motorcycles. It came to my mind yet again and I wondered why I didn't just close my window. Next time that's what I will do instead of tolerating abuse. I can't believe it never occured to me to just close the window. That's funny.

No comments: